First time indoor grow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time indoor grow

Join me on a ride on the "Way Back Machine" to when you all were first time indoor growers and on the low end of the learning curve. Necessity has demanded that I grow my medicine indoors now and I have to admit that it was a hard decision to make. I am used to growing a couple small bushes outside that yield a couple elbows and filling 12+ mason jars each, basically enough to last a year. That being said, I thought I would post a few picks of my first indoor medicine run (first actual grow was for "bird" seed). I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with the plant flower size, but it should be expected when using just dirt(Happy Frog with crab meal), tap water, and light. When I am sure my environment is right I will use supplements, but till then, I will just stick to the basics dirt, light, and water. I guess like all first timers I had dreams of Mega 250+ gram harvests. Reality had a different plan in mind and smacked me right in the mouth! I think now if I can break 60 grams I will be stoked! We all got to start somewhere and showing what I consider a failure is just as important as showing successl. Anyway, on with the show! Laughter and ridiculing finger pointing are ok.
    Very Airy, with a few Trics Long Lanky Lady. Chop Day 71 Small harvest for a whole plant Tough break kid, better luck next time

honestly by looking at the pictures you posted your still miles ahead of some of the people ive seen on other forums..
    Your concerned with low yield, what size is your room? & what exact light are you using?

Those two questions will be a big part of your yield, especially if you already have the basics down which it sounds like you do..

also one thing to note, you used tomato cages which are fine for outdoors.. But if you want to maximize your yield indoors your going to want to make a trellis/scrog net with some twine and pvc tubing.. you can also just get a pre made net and hang it up but i find the custom built nets are much better/easier.
    Last edited by Highdroponic; 01-11-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Hidd3ngr0w
      Hidd3ngr0w commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated! Room is a 3x3x6 tent and lighting is a ghetto fabulous homemade system using under cabinet strips consisting of (4) UV strips and (4) 1600 lumen 3k strips equaling 300 watts total. I have trellis netting and have been training the veg box (see my Obedience School post) for the next run. I prefer to learn cheap then invest in "real" equipment.

• Canabis King
      Canabis King commented
      Editing a comment
      No brotherman. You have to match your canopy to your light source. For example a 1000W or equivalent grow light for a 4X4 with a 18"-24" deep canopy. The light you use is one of the most important equipment factors in a grow if not the most important. I would recommend getting a decent light for your canopy/space and learn the right way. That way you know that if you encounter any limitations in the yield and quality are not just due to an inadequate light source. Then you can blame things like genetics or pests/disease/ ...

• Hidd3ngr0w
      Hidd3ngr0w commented
      Editing a comment
      Canabis King thanks for the comment I appreciate your insight. Can't disagree with anything you said. Right now my light source matches my budget. If I can turn something respectable out of what I have, then I know I can do it with "real" equipment when I can afford it. If my temps,soil, and water are not right it will not matter how much I spend on lights. I already know how the gear runs and what to expect which helps.

Canabis King commented
      01-15-2018, 12:19 AM
      "Then you can blame things like genetics or pests/disease/ ... " Now that's funny, and hopefully I can dip and dodge right on by those.

yea i agree it is hard to pull the trigger on good equipment but at the same time I honestly think your light is the source of your low yield. The leds used in cabinet strip lights are probably inefficient for growing, if it were me id remove the UV strips and replace them with more of the 3k strip lights if you have them.. Don't really need UV at this point in my opinion, the watts would be better served as 3k light.. also you should try to make it about 5-600watts total instead of 300, that alone will definitely give you a nice boost in yield. If you do that & the trellis net Id bet you will surpass your expectations of 250 grams easily.

Just another note if that is jawa pie in the pictures above its definitely a lower yielding strain than other ocean grown strains.. But yea you should've gotten much more than 60 grams from a 3x3 tent w/ 300watts.. how many days/weeks did you let it go?

Comment

I’d laugh but my first grow was a custom made 8-65w CFL in a huge wooden box on wheels. G’damn I wasted so much money in the wrong places.

Comment

• Highdroponic
        Highdroponic commented
        Editing a comment
        if i had all the money back that ive wasted over the last few years i could have a pretty sweet setup right now.. lots of lessons learned... lol.

Thanks for the comments your insights are much appreciated. The grow went 71 days, which is about how long it goes outdoors (Early/Mid-Oct) but I did a light change 40 days in (removed 6 UV and added 2 more white strips) and saw a big change. FYI here is my homemade lighting I was actually thinking of adding 2 more white strips and removing the 2 outside UV on the next grow. It seems all the quality equipment is still 200.00-400.00 more than what I have invested in 2 of these set ups. I know you get what you pay for a lot of times, and I don't mind that people should get paid for expertise. Best way I can put it, I learned to play drums on a $100.00 pawn shop special, then went and bought my DW's. Same principal here. The strain is a personal no name blend bred around 2000 and I will post final weight in about a week.

Highdroponic commented
      01-11-2018, 01:30 PM
      if i had all the money back that ive wasted over the last few years i could have a pretty sweet setup right now.. lots of lessons learned... lol.

I will definitely keep this in mind!

Comment

• Highdroponic
        Highdroponic commented
        Editing a comment
        yea 71 days sounds fine, really seems like you know what your doing as far as just being able to grow the plant and give it what it needs. Which is why i really think if you increase your wattage (more white strips) and get rid of the UV strips (use one strip if you must...) you will see a tremendous boost in yield/growth. I personally have 0 UV in my garden aside from what my hps bulbs put out... Feel free to run any lights by me before you make a purchase if you want a second opinion on it..

• Hidd3ngr0w
        Hidd3ngr0w commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again for the comments and advice. Outdoor is no problem, indoor is something else all together. Yeah growing the plant and understanding what it needs I can do outside, just have to transfer that inside. As far as lighting, I was looking at the SpectrumKing 400 or the Mars600, all the Chilled stuff is way out of my range as a small personal grower, but maybe one day they will make some entry level stuff. Thanks again Highdroponic!

• Highdroponic
        Highdroponic commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly just glad i can help! Spectrum king actually has some quality gear, 460 watts is pretty much exactly what you would need.. That might be the light you want.. You might not get a full P but id bet you'll get above 250 grams.. Chilled has some good stuff too but yea i agree they are a bit $$ (i think thats what ill be going with someday..) Stay away from mars lights, they use inefficient led diodes and it says its 600 watts but really only like 2-300 true watts, you'd be better off sticking with the lights you already have over mars lol.
    Working...
    X